PRAISE FOR ‘WHAT WAS':
Top 100 albums of the year in the Sunday Times Culture magazine (Dec 7th) featured my album ‘What Was’ as no.9 in the Contemporary Music albums of the year! Delighted to make the grade!
‘What Was” was also mentioned by the music critic of the New Yorker, Alex Ross on his blog The Rest is Noise.
RECENT AND UPCOMING PERFORMANCES:
Crash ensemble perform and workshop “Swelt Belly at Dawn” in Bandon, Cork as part of Engage arts festival:
Crash ensemble will perform “Swelt Belly at Dawn” on Saturday 24th as part of their marathon concert at Composing the Island festival in the National Concert Hall, Dublin. https://www.nch.ie/Online/Composing-the-Island-Crash-Ensemble-24Sep16
Performance of “Within an Egg of Space” by Concorde for their 40th anniversary concert on the 18th September at the Hugh Lane Gallery, Dublin.
Panoval for piano, violin and tape – performed by Joseph Houston and Aisha Orazbayeva at the Lutheran Hall, Adelaide road as part of an AIC concert called Modern Classics.
Performance by Concorde of “Swelt Belly at Dawn” at the IAMIC Conference Concert 2016, Galway, 11th June.
Performance of “Swelt Belly at Dawn” by Palomar Ensemble and ACM Chicago as part of a concert of Irish music chosen by Concorde. 6th May.
Paul Roe performed “Whispering the Turmoil Down” for bass clarinet and tape at AIC concert on North Great George’s street, Dublin.
Kate Ellis performed “Up to my f-holes” for cello and tape in Galway.
On the 21st April – Kate Ellis performed “Up to my f-holes” for cello and tape as part of the AIC “Irish Canon” gig in Limerick.
Michelle O’Rourke performs Mouthpiece for voice and tape on the 19th at Birmingham Conservatoire and on the 21st at The Music Composition Centre, Trinity College Dublin.
‘FLUX – jeux de bague’ will be performed by Cécile Lartigau, on the 5th December in Paris. Audition of Ondes Martenot Class. Ondes and tape concert. Paris National Superior Conservatory CNSMDP, Salle Vinteuil 19h30
Paul Roe performs “Whispering the turmoil down” for bass clarinet and tape as part of a concert of electro-acoustic music in the Kevin Barry Room, NCH, Dublin. 26th Sep at 8.30pm.
- Recording the final two pieces for my forthcoming CD on Ergodos records – “To Pull An Eerie Twist” with Kate Ellis (cello) and Michelle O’Rourke (voice) and “Mouthpiece” with Michelle O’Rourke and tape.
- “Up to my f-holes” will be performed by Kate Ellis as part of AIC’s Irish Canon series. This is happening in the Kevin Barry room at the National Concert Hall on the 19th June at 20.30.
- “FLUX – Jeux de bague” is getting a couple more outings this month. Natalie Forget will perform the piece on the 14th of June, 19h, at Longeval, domaine culturel à Saint Just d’Avray, France. And also on the 21st of June at Lilas en Scène.
- Recording my piece “phorM” for tenor saxophone and tape at Arad Studios with Nick Roth!
- Recorded “Swelt Belly at Dawn” at Arad studios with Concorde (Paul Roe, Elaine Clark and Martin Johnson). This will be featured on my forthcoming release on Ergodos records later this year.
- “Swelt Belly at Dawn” will be performed by Concorde at their Up Close with Music series at the RHA Gallery on Sunday April 27th from 2.30 – 4.30 pm.
- “Mouthpiece” for voice and tape will be performed by Michelle O’Rourke as part of the AIC’s series ‘The Irish Canon’. Cork School of Music, Union Quay, Cork, 23rd April, 20.00.
- “FLUX – Jeux de bague” will be performed by Nathalie twice this month, first in Paris and then in Belgium:
- – Centre Culturel Irlandais, Paris – 8th April 2014
- – Kraak Festival, Anvers, Belgium 26th of April 2014.
- “Whispering the Turmoil Down” will be performed by Paul Roe at The AIC The Irish Canon Season 2 – 8 Apr, 1pm Paul Roe Mary Immaculate College, Limerick.
- This month I recording 3 pieces for my upcoming retrospective album, Up to my f-holes for cello and tape (Kate Ellis); Whispering the Turmoil Down for bass clarinet and tape (Paul Roe) and My One’s Bigger Than Yours for double bass (Malachy Robinson) and cello (Kate Ellis). We recorded at Arad studios on Pembroke Row by the lovely Leslie Keye and they sound great! Can’t wait to record the next 4 pieces and to hopefully release the CD later this year on Ergodos records. These recordings are made possible through a Music Network Recording Scheme grant in association with the Arts Council. Thanks so much to everyone involved.
- “Swelt Belly At Dawn” will be performed by Concorde who join the Galway Ensemble in Residence: ConTempo Quartet for a concert in the Aula Maxima, NUI Galway at 8 pm on 8th February.
- “Mouthpiece” will be performed by Michelle O’Rourke in the Kevin Barry Room, National Concert Hall at 20.30 on Tuesday 3rd December 2013 as part of the Irish Canon Series of concerts presented by the Association of Irish Composers (AIC).
- “Flux – jeux de bague” – performed by Nathalie Forget on Ondes Martenot at the Festival für zeitgenössische Musik on 17. November 2013 auf Kampnagel, Hamburg, Germany at 22h00.
- “Whispering the Turmoil Down” – performed by Paul Roe on bass clarinet, Boydell room, House 5, Trinity College Dublin, 6.30pm, 16th Oct
- “Swelt belly at dawn” – performed by Concorde at the Hugh Lane Gallery at noon, 6th Oct
- “Metallurgy” – Culturenight on the 20th – at the CMC.
- Kate Ellis – “Up to my f-holes” – for cello and tape at Kaleidoscope as part of the Kilkenny Arts Festival
- Metallurgy – a percussive tape piece – part of a week-long installation called Soundworks curated by Crash ensemble director Kate Ellis – at the Kilkenny Arts Festival.
- Nathalie Forget will play my piece “FLUX – jeux de bague” for Ondes Martenot and tape at Musée des archives, Chartres, Fr., 8th of June, 19h00.
- Nathalie Forget will play my piece “FLUX – jeux de bague” for Ondes Martenot and tape at Concert for Amnesty International, 7th April 2013, 17h, Temple de Dreux (Fr).
- Kate Ellis performs “Up to my f-holes” at the CMC Salon at Waterford New Music Week 2013
Concorde commissioned a piece from me for their “Up close with music” series and are premiering my new trio for clarinet, violin and cello “Swelt Belly At Dawn” at the RHA, Ely place on the 20th January. The concert will also feature pieces Ariel Hernandez as well as first performances of music by Malcolm Dedman (South Africa), Derek Ball (Ireland) and Ada Gentile (Rome). Silenzio by Sofia Gubaidulina, and Berio’s beautiful clarinet solo, Lied, from 1983 are also on the programme. Performances with Paul Roe, Elaine Clark, David James and Dermot Dunne start at 2.30 with an interval from 3.15 – 3.45 when you will have a chance to chat with composers and performers.
I will also be performing with Laura Hyland as part of Clang Sayne at this months Listen at Lilliput at Lilliput press in Stoneybatter on the 25th November.
Michelle O’Rourke (mezzo-soprano) and Kate Ellis (cello) will perform my piece “To Pull An Eerie Twist” for voice, cello and tape at Kaleidoscope Night in Dublin on the 6th of November and again at Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival on the 19th of November.
Paul Roe will perform “Whispering the Turmoil Down”, for bass clarinet and tape, at the NUIM, Maynooth on the 11th of October.
Paul Roe will perform “Whispering the Turmoil Down”, for bass clarinet and tape, at the RIAM in Dublin on the 15th of September.
“Up to my f-holes” performed by Kate Ellis of the Crash Ensemble at the Traffic Control Centre, Dublin city FM, for Love:Live music day 21st June.
“Mouthpiece” will receive it’s New York premiere. Presented by Ear to Mind on June 16th at 8pm, Nimoy Thalia at Peter Norton Symphony Space.
“…from a galaxy of dust we were unspun…” for choir (Soundset). My new piece will be premiered at Kaleidoscope night on the 5th June at Odessa, Dublin.
“FLUX – jeux de bague” for Ondes Martenot and tape. Paris.
“Up to my f-holes” for cello and tape will be performed by the wonderful Kate Ellis.
Cork Opera House – Half Moon Theatre – 7th April @ 8:30pm
“Up to my f-holes” for cello and tape will be performed by the wonderful Kate Ellis. She will be performing the piece in Limerick and Cork. Here are the details:
University of Limerick – Tower Theatre – 15th March @ 1:15pm
Clang Sayne at Listen at Lilliput – Sang accompanying vocals on a set of Laura Hyland’s songs alongside Matthew Jacobson on drums. You can check out one of the tracks here
One of my first compositions “Accumulation” will be performed at Acousmain#23 – The Dubliners Ear – Atelierfrankfurt – 24 November at 21:00.
Concorde’s Paul Roe performs “Whispering the Turmoil Down” for bass clarinet and tape at the Rubicon gallery, Stephen’s Green as part of Concorde’s new concert series on the 13th November.
Tryst vocal duo and ensemble:
Two performances of “…mad sweet pangs through my belly and breast…” happening in:
Dublin – 1st November – Back Loft, La Cathedral studios, St. Augustine street (off Thomas street)
Berlin – 4th November – LEAP,(Berlin Carré, 1. Floor), Karl Liebknecht str 13
Performance of “fine feathers far below the blue floor” by Garth Knox, Paul Roe and Jane O’Leary in Paris on the 14th of October at the Centre Culturel Irlandais.
Second performance of “…mad sweet pangs through my belly and breast…” performed by Tryst vocal duo and ensemble at The Cell, Manhattan on the 1st October, 2011.
“Up to my f-holes” for cello and tape will be performed by Kate Ellis at How About Now: Crash Ensemble at Engage Arts Festival Bandon, Co.Cork.
Premiere of my new piece entitled “…mad sweet pangs through my belly and breast…” commissioned by Michelle O’Rourke for the vocal duo and ensemble – Tryst. The performance will take place at the Douglass Music Collective, Brooklyn on Wednesday the 28th September.
I would like to thank Culture Ireland for funding my trip to New York to attend the premiere of this new piece.
“fine feathers far below the blue floor” for Garth Knox and Concorde to be premiered at the Hugh Lane Gallery on the 26th June.
“My one’s bigger than yours” for double bass (Malachy Robinson), cello (Kate Ellis) and tape will be performed at Kaleidoscope on June 1st.
“Up to my f-holes” will be performed by Kate Ellis (cello) at the Crash Ensemble concert Free State VI.
S E N S O R I U M Dublin will take place from March 7th-12th 2011 at Project Arts Centre, Cube on East Essex street. Sensorium is a music festival curated by The Link Project who are Judith Ring, Angie Atmadjaja, Emily Kalies and Enrico Bertelli.
The festival will feature three pieces of mine: Metallurgy for tape, and the premieres of – “To Pull An Eerie Twist” for voice (Michelle O’Rourke), cello (Kate Ellis) and tape, and “My one’s bigger than yours” for double bass (Malachy Robinson), cello (Kate Ellis) and tape.
“To Pull An Eerie Twist” for voice (Michelle O’Rourke), cello (Kate Ellis) and tape will be premiered at Kaleidoscope night on the 2nd March.
This project is funded by a music project award from the Arts Council. For more information visit:
EVENTS and CD RELEASES:
My piece “…within an egg of space…” performed by Concorde ensemble will be featured on their new CD ‘Reflections’ on Parma Recordings, due for release Autumn 2010. It will be an enhanced content CD available for distribution on NAXOS.
2 concerts, same piece – “Mouthpiece”, same night – 22nd October, 2 cities – Lyon and Dublin.
IAWM annual concert: an acousmatic evening, Musée des moulages de l’Universite de Lyon II, France. The international alliance for women in music (IAWM) have chosen my piece Mouthpiece to be performed at their annual concert in Lyon, France on the 22nd of October. This concert will be toured across the US and performed in Taiwan. Click on the following link for a complete list of performances:
With kind support of a travel grant from Culture Ireland I will be able to attend and diffuse my piece at the concert in Lyon.
Octophonies – a Soundlab concert – Project Arts Centre, Space Upstairs, 8pm.
Music meets cutting edge electronics.
In a space filled with loudspeakers three soloists, soprano Deirdre Moynihan, violinist Marja Gaynor and harpsichordist Michael Quinn and Fergal Dowling (eletronics), present three exciting concerts including music by young Irish composers Ed Bennett and Judith Ring and leading international composers Kaija Saariaho and Barry Truax.
CMC presents an outdoor music trail and event programme during August. My piece phorM can be heard at one of the locations in Dublin city centre. For more information click here.
Ergodos release the debut album “Dubh” from Amsterdam’s Trio Scordatura, featuring my piece “hush…“ written for Elisabeth Smalt and the adapted viola.
Hear an interview promoting the CD featuring Bob Gilmore, Linda Buckley and myself talking to Jonathan Grimes of the CMC by clicking here.
Moving to the remote reaches of the sunny south-east of Ireland to spend 6 months writing several new pieces of music and collaborating with singer, guitarist and songwriter and improvisor Laura Hyland. You can listen to snippets of her incredible new album here.
Contemporary Music Centre – promotional CD no.9
Featuring my piece “…within an egg of space…” for and performed by Concorde ensemble.
Purchase the cd for free here www.cmc.ie
OFF PLAN – A new adaption of the Oresteia, by Simon Doyle. Directed by Rachel West.
11th – 27th February 2010. Project Arts Centre, 39 East Essex Street, Dublin 2.
Music and Sound design by Judith Ring.
6th January 2010, 7pm – 10pm, Sensorium, Guildhall, York.
Sensorium presents a diverse evening of interactive visual, aural and haptic installation work and performances designed to stimulate the senses.
Experience a series of immersive, cross-media artworks presented within winding paths and pockets of light in the Guildhall, York.
5 December 2009, 8:30pm Ergodos Voices.
National Concert Hall, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2.
Marja Kay & Michelle O’Rourke (musical directors)
Music by Seán Clancy, Linda Buckley, Benedict Schlepper-Connolly, Garrett Sholdice, Judith Ring
22nd November 2009, 12 noon, Concorde Ensemble, Hugh Lane Gallery, Dublin.
Concert programme includes my piece “…within an egg of space…” for ensemble and tape.